Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Why sleep when you can eat ?

It's 1a.m. here in Argentina, and I just got back to my hotel. Believe it or not, I just ate dinner. People out here are night owls. Most resteraunts are still open at this time, and pretty busy. One of the strangest things I've encountered out here is that there's pizza everywhere. There's a pizza parlor every 1 or 2 blocks. I can't remember the last time I ate so much pizza. For whatever reason, the food out here isn't as heavy as American food is. I've been eating pizza before going to bed [which is about 3-4 a.m.] and haven't had one Apocalyptic dream yet. The whole "pizza dreams" joke won't get much of a response out here. Then there's the ice- cream. The ice- cream here is incredible, hands down! Unfortunately, the place where I got my ice cream had the driest ice- cream cones I've ever had as well. But the ice -cream was so good I ate the cone anyways, in honor of the ice- cream. I later wondered if this was something only tourists do. Maybe everyone knows not to eat the cone, maybe cone eating is how they recognize the tourists around here. Having said all that, at approximately 12:30 a.m. I asked for seconds, (two scoops this time) and ate the cone again. I'm telling you, it's that good. I typically don't care for ice- cream, but Argentina, or as I now call it "Ice-creamtina", has changed all of that (I'm crying). Before I forget, Argentina is undoubtedly every shopping woman's paradise. There's so many clothes out here it is insane, and to top it all off, itis inexpensive and fashionable. I got my wife two tops and a skirt for about $20.00, not bad if you ask me. Tomorrow night I'm back in church and on the road again. Five more days and I'll be home, I can't wait.

7 comments:

Jennifer Connell said...

Wow! Pizza, ice cream and shopping? Now I want to go to Argentina! lol

Carol Connell said...

I remember them having good icecream in Costa Rica when we went on a missions trip there a few years ago. There was an icecream parlor called Pops that we visited a couple of times that was good. My husband would probably love it there, since he is a night owl. I'd be dying, because I'm more or a morning person.Sure am glad I learned some Spanish before we went on our trip. I was able to scream "no listos" every morning when the cleaning people came by at 8 a.m. Hope you'll continue to enjoy your trip and post more when you can. God bless!

The Prados said...

Jennifer,

The food out here is incredible and there's a lot of it. Argentina is pretty well known for its cuisine. Amazingly, people eat a huge amount of french fries as well. In fact, I had some to night...[ohhh the guilt of it all].

The Prados said...

Sis. Connell,

"No gracias", has been the one I've been using a lot lately with room service. I can't seem to wake up early enough to get out of my room. My internal clock has gone bonkers...I stay up all night and sleep during the day-I give up...I imagine when I get back home it wont be much better either. The time difference has just really messed me up.

Jesse Willoughby said...

That sounds delicious. I'm a fan of pizza. Billy Boy Bob's pizza in Niles is the best. Can you bring back a sample for us to try?
What about Chinese food? Do they have an array of the many cultures of the world to taste? Don't forget about Southern taters and gravy.

The Prados said...

Jesse,

Believe it or not, they love Chinese buffets in Argentina. Who would have guessed? I even ate one.

Jennifer Connell said...

They like Chinese Buffets? And you ate one? The whole buffet? *giggle* Glad you made it back safely! Hopefully we will see you all sometime soon.