Friday, February 26, 2010

What really killed the cat?


Earlier this week, I was shocked to discover that curiosity didn't kill the cat. Apparently this saying was coined in the late 1500s, but with a different suspect behind the cat's murder. The original saying stated that "care [old English for worry] killed the cat." That's right, worrying killed the cat. Modern research and the ancient parables of Jesus have shown that worry doesn't only have power to harm cats, but it also has power to harm humans. We all know the popular commandments of kill not, steal not, covet not, but what about "fear not?" I have personally read these words "fear not" dozens of times, but rarely do I stop to consider how serious God is about me obeying them. Worry would probably kill us much faster than it would any animal. In fact, most animals who suffer from stress and anxiety only do so because they've been taken out of their natural habitat and made to live with us. Cats may have nine lives, which affords them several lifetimes to conquer worry, but humans are not so fortunate. We only get one life to conquer the angst that's against the love of God. For many of us, courage or bravery is the remedy for fear. But according to the Bible, love cures fear. Loving and being loved in return is what produces the confidence humans need to face life boldly. Fortunately for us, God is love and unfortunately for our fears, God loves us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog and wanted to comment. This entry really struck me. I find that I fear many things, yet God has commanded me to "fear not" repeatedly. Thank you for reminding me. You write very well. Keep it up!
~Sarah

Ari & Jaimee Prado said...

Thank you Sarah. I hope it helped you.