Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Teen Challenge

Many years ago, my mother got a time slot to have church services at a men's drug rehabilitation center in Oakland called Teen Challenge. My mother is fearless when it comes to witnessing or bringing people to church. She would even pass out flyers in the heart of Oakland with my sisters and me in our strollers. She has a real heart for people.

Through the years, Revival Tabernacle-my former church- has had services at Teen Challenge either early in the morning or during the evening slot. I remember going to these services at 6 or 7 in the morning and hearing the men worshipping God.

Fast forward about 10 years. Revival Tabernacle is still in contact with Teen Challenge and asked my husband to preach for their service last night. We had a great time and I believe that some of the men left changed. My husband preached "When My Hair Grows Back." This message was so timely for where these men are at in their lives because he preached about what are they going to do with this second chance that they have? He really preached down their alley and I believe that he ministered to these men who will be going back into the real world on their own, but need to make the right decisions and get right with God.









2 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Awesome! I believe only time will tell what God really accomplished in that service. Love you guys!

Shannon said...

How awesome! I can't wait to hear an update in the future about how God is using that church @ Teen Challenge!

Did you know I taught Bible studies at the Teen Challenge in our city for 3 years? God really worked and revealed Himself to those precious people. It was good for me, too. There's a greater compassion and empathy in my heart for those coming out of addictions.