Thursday, May 29, 2008

Scrabble anyone?


Well if you don't know, now you know, I am a big scrabble enthusiast. My in-laws are actually the ones who introduced me to this addictive game. I own a travel Scrabble, a Home Super Deluxe Scrabble, and last but not least, I have Scrabble on my laptop. The fascinating thing about Scrabble is that winning a game does not depend on what most people would think.
In fact, Scrabble has a lot more to do with where you put a word than the actual length of the word. For example, a simple word like ox consists of only two letters, but it can rack up 31 points. Whereas a longer word with more letters may never even come close to that. The key is really twofold. First of all, the the letter "o" is only worth one point, but the letter "x" is worth 10 points. For those of you who play, you understand that there are squares that offer triple letter or triple word scores. So the logical conclusion is to try and place your words in the right place the give them more value.
Being the enthusiast that I am, I began to think how this applies to everyday life and then it came to me (aha!). It matters more where you place your words in life even if they are simple. Words are weightier in their value when they are put in the right places, at the right time, and in the right way. I have spoken to and heard many eloquent speakers, but there is nothing like hearing or talking to a person that knows how to perfectly drop a word into their speech. These wise men and women are the true Scrabble masters. In fact, listening to them can often help "unscrabble" our view of life during difficult times and trying moments. I pray that God gives good wise men a burden "to speak" to me, for I would rather hear them say their few and choice words than to listen to someone say a whole lot that means very little. Scrabble anyone?

No comments: